Director, Incident Management - CAT Command (Hybrid)
At USAA, we have an important mission: facilitating the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. Not all of our employees served in our nation's military, but we all share in the mission to give back to those who did. We're working as one to build a great experience and make a real impact for our members.
We believe in our core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty, and service. They're what guides everything we do - from how we treat our members to how we treat each other. Come be a part of what makes us so special! The Opportunity
We are seeking a dedicated Director, Incident Management for our CAT Command. This position is a hybrid work type and can be based in one of the following locations: San Antonio, TX; Phoenix, AZ; or Tampa, FL. Hybrid roles help employees gain the best of both worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results.
The Director of Incident Management supervises a team responsible for enterprise incident management through the identification, analysis, strategy and plan development and oversight of the enterprise crisis response (within the Unified Command Center and/or CAT Command). Responsible for the coordinated team to supervise, detect and respond to anything that could impact employees, members, or operations across USAA's global operating environment. Serves as the first line of decision making during major incidents and will advise communications to senior leaders and employees and will serve as the Incident Management Team Battle Captain during times of critical issue until relieved by higher authorities.
What you'll do:
- Identifies and leads existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are optimally identified, measured, supervised, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Advises staff and initiatives that support incident management, risk identification and analysis, development and oversight of incident management strategies and plans to ensure department objectives are optimally met.
- Responsible for communication and collaboration during incident response and uses critical thinking skills to make logical command and control decisions; promotes process excellence during incident response.
- Responsible for regular reporting and after-action reports on the status of incident management activities, operational details and alerting senior management to potential breaches and compliance issues.
- Analyzes information, oftentimes in an ambiguous environment to identify root cause and develop key work products.
- Implements plans, processes, and procedures to recover business operations and facilitate rapid response to emergency or crisis situations.
- Coordinates with subject matter authorities from other functional areas within USAA to ensure consistent and rapid response to emergency or crisis situations and in alignment with compliance policies and procedures.
- Builds and leads a high performing team of incident management professionals through recruitment, training, mentor, performance management and other related managerial activities; Provides regular individual and team coaching and feedback; serves as a mentor and promotes knowledge growth for assigned area of responsibility.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree: OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 8 years of relevant experience in business operations positions, risk management discipline, and/or emergency operations.
- 3 years of direct team lead, supervisory or management experience.
- Expert communication skills with the ability to collaborate and execute among cross-functional teams.
- Advanced knowledge of performance metrics and reporting, and technical problem resolution.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations, regulatory data sources and risk management practices.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating, influencing decisions, and facilitating cross- organizational programs, projects, and joint planning groups to achieve enterprise strategic goals; includes external civic, crisis, and emergency management agencies; regulatory agencies; and key enterprise stakeholders.
What sets you apart:
- Ability to consolidate various data sources, interpret results and generate recommendations for action.
- Current or previous Director or military experience.
- P&C familiarity.
- Strong communication / executive presence.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
What we offer:
Compensation: USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market data of the position. The actual salary for this role may vary by location. The salary range for this position is: $104,660.00 - $199,970.00.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance and at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
For more details on our outstanding benefits, please visit our benefits page on
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.